Leg Strength Test. The purpose of this test is to assess the development of the athlete's elastic leg strength. With this test, we can determine the progression of training specially on leg muscle strength development.
To conduct this test you will require:
• 400 meter track – 25 meter marked section on the straight
• Marker or Cones
How to do the test
• Markout a 25 meter section on the straight section of the track with 2 cones
• The athlete starts 10 to 15 meter behind the starting line.
• Using a jog run up, the athlete starts hopping on the dominant leg from the first cone.
• The time taken to hop between the 2 cones is recorded.
• The test is then repeated with the other leg.
Analysis of the result is by comparing it with the results of previous tests. It is expected that, with appropriate training between each test, the analysis would indicate an improvement.
Normative data for the leg strength test
The following data has been obtained from the results of tests conducted with world class athletes.
Table reference: D.A. Chu; Explosive Power and Strength; Human Kinetics; 1996
This test is suitable for active individuals but not for those where the test would be contraindicated.
Reliability would depend upon how strict the test is conducted and the individual's level of motivation to perform the test.
There are published tables to relate results to potential level of fitness and the correlation is high.