Rockport Fitness Walking TestThis article discusses one of the most vo2max tests, named Rockport fitness walking test. The fitness level can know by this test, with the result is vo2max capacity. The activity of this test is just walking, the distance is 1609 meter. The objective of this test is to assess our vo2max level.
To undertake this test you will require:
- 400-metre track
- Stop watch
How to conduct the Rockport Fitness Walking Test?
The Rockport fitness walking test is conducted as follows:
- Choose a windless day to conduct the test
- Record your weight
- Walk one mile (1609 meters) as fast as possible
- Record the time to complete the one-mile walk
- Immediately on finishing the walk record your heart rate (beats per minute)
- Determine you VO2max.
Analysis of the result is by comparing it with the results of previous tests. It is expected that, with appropriate training between each test, the analysis would indicate an improvement
The formula used to calculate VO2max is:
- 132.853 - (0.0769 x Weight) - (0.3877 x Age) + (6.315 x Gender) -(3.2649 x Time) - (0.1565 x Heart rate).
- Weight is in pounds (lbs)
- Gender Male = 1 and Female = 0
- Time is expressed in minutes and 100ths of minutes
- Heart rate is in beats/minute
- Age is in years.
This test is suitable for sedentary individuals but not for individuals when the test would be contraindicated.
Reliability would depend upon how strict the test is conducted and the individual's level of motivation to perform the test.Validity
There are published VO2max tables and the correlation to actual VO2max is high.