If athletes are to learn and utilize effectively the techniques associated with their events and are to avoid injury successfully, they require a good level of mobility. An athlete will find it difficult, if not impossible, to learn a new technique if their flexibility is poor. A good level of flexibility is also essential for the development of specific conditioning (i.e the application of strength or speed in a particular event).
Flexibility TestsThe following are examples of flexibility tests:
- Modified sit and reach test
- Sit and reach test
- Hip flexion test
- Static flexibility test - ankle
- Static flexibility test - hip & trunk
- Static flexibility test - shoulder
- Static flexibility test - shoulder & wrist
- Static flexibility test - trunk & neck
- Trunk flexion test.
Mackenzie, Brian. 2005. 101 Performance Evaluation Test. Electric World Plc. London.